…you decided to share a bunch of wine facts. Facts, that you in fact, saw on someone else’s blog and knew that you too needed to share this random wine trivia. I like wine. And I like random trivia. Enjoy!
1 grape cluster = 1 glass
75 grapes = 1 cluster
4 clusters = 1 bottle
1 vine = 10 bottles
1200 clusters = 1 barrel
1 barrel = 60 gallons
60 gallons = 25 cases
30 vines = 1 barrel
400 vines = 1 acre
1 acre = 5 tons
5 tons = 332 cases
Split = 1/4 bottle
Magnum = 2 bottles
Jeroboam = 4 bottles
Methuselah = 8 bottles
Salmanazar =12 bottles
Balthazar = 16 bottles
Nabuchadnezzar = 20 bottles
- There are 20 million acres of grapes planted worldwide.
- California produces approximately 77% of the US wine grape crop.
- 30 million gallons of wine were lost in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.
- There are currently 10,000 varies of grapes worldwide.
- There is at least one commercial winery in every state in the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska.
- The average age of an oak tree used for a wine barrel is 170 years.
- Only 5% of an oak tree is suitable for making wine barrels, therefore it can take up to 20 oak trees to make one wine barrel.
- Portugal has 1/3 of the worlds cork forests and supplies 85-90% of the corks used in the US.
- The longest recorded champagne cork flight was 177 feet and 9 inches.