For those of you who know me, you know my current job status. But for those of you who don’t, let me give you brief recap:
I really don’t like my current job. I’m not going to say who it is with, but they are the world’s largest single site cheese manufacturer. I’ve disliked it really since I started there, but I’m such a pushover I stuck with it. Well, I don’t know if pushover is really the word, maybe I was just determined to make it work. After a year and a half my determination has not worked. So I’ve moderately seeking other employment that has much more potential to be either a) what I truly want to do with my life, my passion which is event planning, or b) something that I enjoy doing that pays decently with room for advancement within the company. I thought that my current employer would be a great place to advance, but after 3 failed attempts it is clearly not working. Mind you, these are failed attempts where it would come down to me vs. “someone else”, and “someone else” had slightly an edge over me. My mom kept telling me that “God has a plan for you either there, or for you to wait there while something else becomes available somewhere.”
This brings us up to December. I was mindlessly searching online for positions in the area that were of interest of me and I came across one. Angels sang a little in my head, I had found my dream position. a) a government job with the City of Modesto as their Events Coordinator (see above dream job), b) pays extremely well, like so well I could someday in the fairly near future be able to purchase a house, and c) God’s timing, found position online on a Tuesday, it closes the next Monday filled out application and updated resume Wednesday, had a friend proof it Thursday morning before she flew out of the state in the afternoon, had it in the mail that same afternoon. God is great! A couple weeks go by and I receive a notice that I have an interview a couple weeks later. Panel interview happen. A little over a week later I receive a notice on how I scored in the interview and that IF I make it to round 2 I’ll hear later. God is definitely testing patience by this point. Another week plus go by and I find out that I have a written exam on Valentine’s Day. Praise the Lord I made it to round 2! The test happens(1 hour, 2 essay questions), with the help of the Holy Spirit I remember incidences that have happened to me in past experiences that helped me with the answers to the exam, feeling much more confident than I did when I started it. That was 3 weeks ago and I haven’t heard anything. Of the 5 of us that took the test they will narrow it down to 3 for another round of interviews, this time with the Director of Parks and Rec. I’ve called a few times to find out what the status is, they are unable to give me information, not out of confidentiality, but out of they haven’t done anything “We have a lot going on with other open recruitments” as I was told. God continues to test patience, praise God for His grace.
Which leads us to present day… A long time friend and neighbor of mine was working with my part time since moving home from Chicago. She was also looking for other employment and had a few leads. But she had a “backup plan”, which was with a good family friend of hers at a very well known chicken manufacturer. Being that she was offered a job with her first choice she declined her “backup”. BUT, I also work with her sister and best friend (she’s just in a different department of the company) who then told me that if I was interested in the “backup plan” she’s pass my info on to the family friend. I was contacted the next day, e-mailed my resume, and now have an interview with this company this coming Monday. Now, this position doesn’t pay as well as the City job, but it pays better than what I’m currently making (really, it’s not hard to beat). And within 6 months I’d be advanced a step or two to a Jr. Buyer from Purchasing Clerk D. The HR recruiter is very nice on the phone and seems excited to interview me. I think that I’m more experienced than what they originally intended the position to be, but she’s excited that I have a college degree as that was a desired qualification.
So now, I ask for prayer and continued patience. I really prefer the job with the City, but I can’t pass up opportunities for other positions in the meantime in case it doesn’t happen with the City. But I don’t know what I’ll do if I have to accept before knowing for sure with the City. So maybe pray also that God will light a fire under the City’s butt to get a move on with the position I’m applying for. Oh, I forgot to mention that the City wanted the position filled by the end of February… That’s I’ll I’ve got for you. Please remember me in your prayers. If you have any advice for me please pass it on. Thanks!